Skip to main content

Mooncake Attempt (2) - 'Piggy' Mooncakes 猪仔饼/公仔饼

 My next mooncakes making is 'Piggy Mooncake'. My all times favorite types of mooncakes. It tastes very simple. It kinda tastes like molasses soft cookies. Even making this is very simple and easy. Not much of the ingredients and techniques you have to know. All you can do is mix everything, rest the dough, shape it, and bake. 

Although it is called piggy mooncakes, in Chinese 猪仔饼/公仔饼, you can literally shape anything you like. Back in the days, what I saw was they shape into a pig and pack with a net shape packaging. But now, you can see it comes in different shapes. Well, since I don't have any fancy mooncake mold and I just do in a very little batch, so I just shape it with my bare hand. The most simple shape I can think of is fish. 

The recipe I used is from Kitchen 101 but cut in half and a little modified.

Ingredients:
100g low flour
60g golden syrup
1tsp alkaline water
3tbsp of beaten egg (for egg wash)
6 chocolate chips for eyes deco
(can make 6 fishes)

Steps:
  1. Mix all the wet ingredients, except egg in a bowl and mix.
  2. Sift in low flour and use a spatula to mix until it forms a dough.
  3. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and rest at room temperature for 2hours.
  4. Divided the dough according to your mooncake mold size. For mine, I shape the fishes, use scissors to score the line of fins, then put a chocolate chip as an eye deco.
  5. Place them into a baking tray and bake in a preheated oven 170°C for 8-10mins (depend on your size).
  6. Take out let it cool down for 30mins, then brush with a thin layer of egg wash.
  7. Put back to the oven and bake at 170°C for another 8-10mins.
  8. Take out let it cool down completely and store in an air-tight container. Taste better if you leave for the next day.

Comments